Metropolitan Memorial is an inclusive caring Christian community that invites others into a deepening relationship with God and challenges them to grow as disciples for the transformation of the world. We seek individuals interested in extending radical hospitality, transforming lives, and pursuing justice.
Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church is a three-campus Parish:
- The main campus at Metropolitan Memorial, on Nebraska Avenue, is a large, vital, urban congregation with members who come from the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia. It holds two Sunday worship services: a very traditional service with organ and choir and a blended, family-friendly service.
- Wesley is a dynamic multi-cultural, multi-ethnic congregation on Connecticut Avenue with a jazz ensemble and a vibrant gospel choir.
- Crossroads at St. Luke’s Mission Center on Wisconsin Avenue attracts primarily young adults interested in worshipping and being in community in a smaller congregational setting. It has a contemporary, emergent service on Sunday night with a band of guitars, keyboards, and drums.
We celebrate the diversity of our three campuses and operate as a unified Parish entity in activities across worship, study, service, caring and outreach. The Parish has a passion for excellence in deep and diverse study of faith issues in worship; for service ministries in our city, our nation and across the world; and in operating homeless shelters at two of our campuses. Metropolitan is an equal opportunity employer.
Volunteer Coordinator for St. Luke's Mission Center (PT) - The part-time Volunteer Coordinator at the St Luke’s Mission Center is responsible for identifying, recruiting, scheduling, and developing volunteer workers and leaders so that the Campus Kitchen at Washington, DC can sustain and grow its operations. This involves securing volunteers to:
- staff regular kitchen work shifts at the CKDC (currently twice a week on Friday and Saturday afternoons) and other volunteer events
- staff regular pick-up and delivery of donated food
- staff the delivery and serving of prepared meals
- support leadership functions such as fundraising, communication, administration, and capacity building
The Volunteer Coordinator will be an employee of the Metropolitan Church* reporting to the Associate Pastor for Serving Ministries of the Metropolitan Church and will work in close collaboration with the CKDC leadership team, part-time chef, and CKDC partners. Full job description here. Email resume and cover letter to Rev. Dottie Yunger or mail to Metropolitan Memorial UMC, ATTN: Campus Kitchen, 3401 Nebraska Ave NW, Washington DC 20016. Closing date: May 1, 2014.