Tyler Rusch Homeless Walk
Every fall, the entire National UMC community—young and old—demonstrate their support for our robust homeless ministry by participating in the Tyler Rusch Homeless Walk. The walk route starts at Metropolitan Memorial and proceeds through the neighborhoods surrounding the church.
This annual fundraising event is the principal source of funding for Metropolitan House homeless shelter, raising over $250,000 since its inception. The event is held in honor of Tyler Rusch, an 18-year-old parishioner and a dedicated Metropolitan House volunteer who died in a tragic automobile accident in 2003.
- Help with planning and publicity. Volunteers are needed to spread the word, plan refreshments, and handle set up.
- Sponsor walkers and contribute to the walk. Sponsors are needed to fund youth and student walkers and to contribute to the overall fundraising objectives of the event. Donate online here.
- Register to walk. Walkers can register on the day of the walk or by mailing their registration form or registering online in advance of the walk-day.
- Help on walk-day. Volunteers are needed to staff the registration table and monitor the walk route.
- If you would like more information or would like to volunteer, contact Metropolitan House funding coordinator Ann Michel.